the endless project

Replace Image and Alt Text, Set Height In Style Tag...

PHASE 2, what’s the plan?

Phase 1 of Space Opera is finished and also the WebGL version of the Nightlybuild has been changed so that it is playable again. Time to take a look at Phase 2:

English and German localization

I don’t really need to say much about that. Space Opera should be playable in at least 2 different languages. Since I don’t want to reinvent the wheel here, I looked for a simple solution. I found the solution here:

Ultimately, the whole thing is reduced to hard work.

Combat manoeuvres

The current battle is still very static. The first step to break this up will be the introduction of combat maneuvers. This also involves some energy management.

In the following article I had described a more complex combat system and a corresponding energy management. I want to go there again.

New enemy types

Actually, it’s a clear thing. The game still needs a few different opponents. A few resources at the end of a battle, as a reward of course wouldn’t be bad.

Fog of War

Also something I had in the old versions. Not knowing what’s around the corner always tickles the explorer’s urge.

Space Opera | PHASE 1 | Release

Phu, quite a piece of pixel work and some code is behind me. At least that’s what a player will see. In the background some preparations and revisions were necessary.

In fact, creating the graphics took most of the time.

What were the objectives of PHASE 1?

Detailed ship information

One of the goals was to present the ship details in a clear form and to give me at the same time a good basis for further extensions. I think I could reach the goal. In a small feature preview video this was already touched on.

Repair function for modules

Along with the ship details, there is now the ability to repair combat damage after a battle. This feature is also only the basis for the later maintenance system, which gives you more control over what and how much you can or want to repair.

Randomly generated resource set on fields

A small thing that went quite fast, by using a random generator the amount of resources on a field is determined. This is also only a first expansion stage. The type of sensors should be clearly visible here.

2 more map fields types (dense asteroid field & dense fog field)

To get some more difference, I created 2 more field types. In total there are now 5 different types in Space Opera:

  • space
  • Thin Fog
  • Dense fog
  • Thin asteroid field
  • Dense asteroid field

In addition, there are different versions of a single field. I think I managed to make the map not as monotonous as it was at the beginning.


Somewhat unscheduled I have also added the possibility of the Modding’s with one of the conversions. I had the modding itself firmly in the view, only I did not want to tackle it actually already now.

So if you want you can follow the path “SpaceOpera/DataStreamingAssets” in the subfolder of Space Opera and find the shown files.

When generating the map these files are read in and they contain all module values that describe a ship.

I would like to release a small editor sometime in the course of the year with which you can change these files. Since it concerns however XML files which one can open with each good text editor. It should be no problem now to play around with it a little.

There are however still 2 exceptions. The weapon damage is still hardcoded, as is the loading space. Since there is no building system yet, it won’t be possible to build other modules.

Unfortunately the Nightlybuild broke during this action. The WebGL (still a bit) bitchily takes a look at the XML files from the webspace. The problem will be solved in the near future.

Space Opera | PHASE 1 | Feature Preview – Ship Details

The work on PHASE 1 is almost complete. Only a few final tests are still open.

I used this to make a little feature preview video. If you want to see such videos about upcoming features more often. Would I be happy about a comment or an entry in a forum.

Space Opera | Phase 1 WIP Ship Details

Now that I’ve had a few feedback rounds, I’ve created a very usable prototype. In the next step I have to fill the whole thing with life and some pixels.